I know it doesn’t look like it outside with the beautiful weather we’ve been having, but, it is less than one month until Christmas! Wow! We spent last weekend decorating our house for Christmas. It made it real that we are about to get into the full swing of the season soon – the holiday parties, work parties, time spent at malls, extra time spent baking and cooking, taking children to their activities and parties and whatever else is added to your already full plate. I know how busy Christmas time can be and I know it adds extra stress to our lives, so I wanted to share my 5 steps to help you cope with the Christmas madness.
Here are my 5 top tips to stay healthy for you busy professionals and busy moms out there!
1) Drink water! We tend to drink more alcohol than usual and/or eat more sweets during the holiday season and with that, it is even more important to drink more water. Try adding an extra 2 -3 glasses of water on those days you know you will indulge more than usual. An easy way to do this is drink a large glass of water first thing in the morning before you eat breakfast and again right before you eat lunch. Then drink the rest of you water as usual throughout the day.
2) SLEEP!!! This is an area that I always find gets interrupted in stressful times. Do your best to create a quiet and calm sleep environment and if you have a busy child filled household, take turns with your spouse and sharing extra sleeping time. You can also click HERE to learn more about a blog I previously wrote on sleep.
3) Keep exercising! Not only is it good to burn those extra holiday calories, it is also good way to rid the body of stress and to keep your body strong. It also helps with getting a more restful sleep. Move your body!
4) Continue getting your regular Chiropractic adjustments! I find adjustments help my body to handle stress better, they help to prevent injuries and other health concerns. Adjustments are not an area to slow down frequency in times of busyness and stress – it is an area to increase! Listen to your body.
5) Supplement with high quality vitamins. My top 3 supplements are multi-probiotics for a healthy digestive track and immune system, Vitamin D due to our lack of sunlight in the winter months and to help with mood and all over body function, and omega 3 fish oils to help balance internal inflammation and can curb stiffness and joint pain. I offer Douglas Labs supplements in our office for our patients to purchase.
Hope these quick 5 tips help to keep you as healthy and stress free over the holiday months.